The Technical committee has identified the big technical questions that tend to surface again and again and provided a detailed response to save you time and headaches.
If the answer to your questions is not covered below then Ask AMPS (If you have a question about Power Generation, AMPS has the answer)
The questions below are all clickable:
Questions on standards and directives
- What is the applicability of the WEEE Directive to Generating Set and Associated Products?
- Which codes and standards provide guidance regarding the Earthing of a mobile Generator?
- Is it possible to access generating set UL standards, and keep abreast of changes from the Internet?
- Should even harmonics be included in Total Harmonic Distortion (THD%) calculations.
- Can EMC Compatibility be achieved by just assembling EMC Compliant components…….?
- Application of BS 7671 Wiring Regulations to containerised generating sets
Questions on engines
Questions on fuel
Questions on emissions and noise
- Is a guard required on a generating set engine exhaust manifold for it to comply with CE directives and/or BS/EN standards?
- Can the noise level from the exhaust be higher than the rest of the Generating Set without affecting the overall noise level?
Questions on specifying a generating set
- What engine ratings should I choose for my Generating set application?
- What level of ‘over-sizing factor’ should be used when offering a generating-set for loads such as Variable Speed Drives (VSD), Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), or even a sports stadium lighting system, where all introduce concerns regarding system operational levels of harmonic distortion?
- We are Importers of generating sets and have been visited by the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency). They have informed us our generating sets do not conform to the 2000/14EC noise emission in the environment by equipment for use outdoors, or the 97/68/EC NRMM (Non Road Mobile Machinery) directive, and have banned us from selling product.
- Should all generating sets be fitted with an RCD, and what tripping current level should be used?
- What level of Transformer (T/F) inrush current should be considered when nominating a generator to power a large T/F load.
- What is a typical life expectancy for a well maintained StandBy generating set.